The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.

lundi 13 juillet 2009


This is the first time I made a costume base on a japanese anime.My honey with two friends were planning to go to a convention of anime call Otakuthon and have choose to be three characters of the same anime.He want me so much to come with them . I was not excited by the idea but I finally decided to do a character I saw at the tv , Tsunade from the serie Naruto which play every day during the week.

The blue pant are linen and to make them I have use as a pattern my pair of boxer .The waist have an elastic.The obi (belt)is made of the same fabric , it's only a long rectangle.Nothing impressive in that.

The grey under kimono (I do not know the exact name for that because there is no sleeve) is made of grey butterfly cotton .The black line is biais tape.I use mccall 2940.

The green haori (coat)was the part I have hate so much to do.First , I was not able to find the good tone of green.I don't want to use a cheap cotton so I buy a pale linen green and thought I could dye it.The darker band was easy to do because it required less space to dye it.The coat was dye five times , yes five times before I get a little satisfaction.The dye did not take very well and was unequal .
I'm note sure of what I make wrong , maybe one or two time I forgot the salt but for all the other times I really don't know.I suspect the fabric to not be a 100% linen but when I buy it was written 100%linen.The sleeve have stay unequal but I was able to fix the rest and specially this big light spot in the back.

The red circle in the back(not on the picture) is an overleft fabric , a blend of linen with a lining under it because it was too light .I do not have something to print the black symbol and make a pochoir so I try to do my best and use a black painting for fabric which required to be fix with the iron.It's not perfect but it do the job.

The wig was buy at a costuming store and I simply have to comb it. I was unable to find a pair of sandal which were close to the original . After ten shoes store I was tired to search so I take what I have.The result is good and I can say I'm mostly satisfied of it.
At the convention I try so hard to find the little pig you see in the picture because we see it with my character.My honey bring it sunday as a gift and he have search a long time for it.Otakuthon was not so fun but this little toy remind me the fun I had to make the costume and the pleasure I had to have apprentices sewers at home every two week.

1 commentaire:

  1. We'll have fun next year, I promise. Maybe we can do a group project and include your Goddaughter!