The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















lundi 13 juillet 2009

At the beginning



The first time I do camping it was for a live fantasy roleplaying game(LARP) with elves and mostly all creature you could possibly imagine.The major point of the week was a great battle at the end. At the moment I did not have a lot of skills .I choose to be a celtic women, a warrior.

The pant were suppose to be a skirt-pant but I never read instruction with pattern and I change my mind during the process.To be a warrior and to be part of the battle it is easier to wear pants so finally it become pant with an elastic at the waist.Now with years of practice and wisdom , I am not sure how I really did it and when the skirt dissappear.All I know is the result give me very large pant which a friend like to call my clown pant.

The shirt were made with mccall 3789 using different linen and linen blend.I wish to give the illusion of  wearing two layer of shirt .I create a long and short sleeve , a band at the bottom and at the neck of a different color.The sew is hide by the trim .I never see women wearing that but I like the result and it's comfortable .
Accessoiries
The belt and the purse are made of leather , heavier for the purse.The brooch and the torc (necklace)were wear by celtic people and are historical.It was made by Crafty Celts which made different celtic accessoiries .It can looks like a little expensive for some item they sell but it really deserve it .I buy a purse for my honey as a gift , I do not regre it.

The dress is made of linen blend with mcall 8937.The tabard is a linen look(which mean something synthetic) and is a simple rectangle I made.The belt is also the same.

What I will do differently now if I had to do it again? A real pair of pant , a shawl and a two shirts to wear one over the other .Wearing many layer give a different feeling difficult to describe , a feel of authenticity I guess.The shirt to wear over I could probably made a few in wool (heavy)for cooler day with wind and for sunny day linen is good because it can breath.
The dress is ok for something fantastic but the tabard I will prefer another dress to wear over it or making a cotte and an open surcot or lace at the front will be more pretty .
To finish someting I mostly always forgot , an hat to protect my head from the sun.

1 commentaire: