The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















jeudi 1 juillet 2010

The mists of Avalon

One of the movie I like is The mists of Avalon with Julianna Margulies and Angelica Huston.The movie is base on the book of Marion Zimmler-Bradley.I like the way the story is presente with a touch of magic and religious believes.There is so many beautiful dress in it , it's quite impossible to not be inspired by it.Some costumes are simple other are so colorfull.

I made this dress at my beginning as a sewer.My godmother offer a sewing machine ( Kenmore)and I did start enjoy doing things alone without help.This sewing machine was for real beginner , it can do 10 differents points and can't sew anything heavy .
The dress is made with mccall 3663 and is inspired by the one wear by the character of Ygerne when she go to the court at the begining of the movie when she met Uther Pendragon.The fabric is suede , which is hot , the trim is from Calontir trim.The dress have no zipper or lacing so as you can imagine , it's not very adjust.

With the dress I also made a sleeveless coat which is made from mccall 4340 , the same pattern I use for doing my harry potter coat.The fabric is very heavy , reversible (fur /suede) and let me tell you it's not all sewing machine that can handle that.My little Kenmore can't , the industrial machine of my mom can do it but she broke a needle or two .It wasn't easy.

The idea behind the coat is I wish to have something that will looks like or help to give some richness to the dress.

If you didn't see seams on the side of the coat , it's because there are none on the side or on the back.The only seams are at the shoulder.It was difficult to sew , adding a lining will surely not help .So I thought I should find a way to have less seams or if I could possibly make it in a single piece .The fabric was large enough .I put the piece of the pattern on it and realize it was possible to do it like this.I choose to not add anything to close it and show a little of the inside.
A classical mistake of the beginner I was , an horrible seam inside the sleeve which is visible when I wear it.I think it's worst because I didn't have an overlock machine at the time .When I realize how bad it looks , I did not have any extra fabric to make new sleeve .I can possibly add a lining .

The fact is the adjustment of the dress is not well and I have decided to transform it to make it more confortable and look better.Don't be surprise to find it in the transformation section before the end of the year.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire