The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















vendredi 3 août 2012

Accessoiries and underwear for my New France costume

Let's start with underwear and accessoiries.

My costume is something around 1760.Everyone know any lady need a beautiful hat to cover is head or at least I do it to cover my head from the sun.As far as I could see in museum and what other costumer done , the basic straw hat is cover with a matching fabric which is mostly silk.For now in my small appartment I don't the place for 5-10 for these .One hat for each costume will be nice but not for the moment.I have many other project and my hat should match with all of them (or almost).

That's why I choose to add lace on it.It's not too much and was easy to do.I use glue for fabric and pin the lace to be sure it doesn't move.The picture is the work in progress.The hat was buy from Jas.Townsend and son for 20$.


If you talk about summer it mean heat.I always get headhache because of it doesn't matter how much water I could drink.I thought a fan would be nice.My first idea was something with lace but it also  came with plastic.Fan from museum I saw  reflect scene of daily life.

I try to search for this but I found expensive antique piece between 500-1000$ on ebay and etsy.Reenactment seller offer chinese style fan ,which I already have.For my taste it's totally not period.

I finally found this fan on Etsy for 30$ from the seller Rewind the past.It was exactly what I want: made of wood and have a scene on it.I like it so much .My friend Gwenyver told me she was ask many time about where it came from.


I wasn't sure I was going to need a bumroll.I made one in case of , it's easy and quickly done.Mine is made of cotton , fill with polyester and tie by biais tape.

I made a neck handkerchief from embroided chiffon I already have . I must admit it was a little too small and should cut the squarre bigger .It can do the job but I'm not 100%satisfy.My sewing dummy need major reparations as you can see it.


After I decided I will need to wear the bumroll to support the skirt , I had to make something over it .If you don't it doesn't gave the same effect and you can perfectly see the bumroll which is not cute.Any costumer could see that .Mistake from a beginner.

My friend Gwenyver send me a link from the blog American duchess for none conventional support.The idea of making a skirt from a quilt fabric seam strange but it work so well.It make a huge difference.I use a quilt reversible fabric .There is no need to cut it , it's large enough to make what you see.It reach the knee.I buy + -  1.25m and made  just a few pleats.A better version could use something like 1.5m or 1.75 with more pleats .It perfectly hide the bumroll.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire