The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















samedi 4 août 2012

Petticoat

Ok here's the deal : english is not my first language and somethimes I'm not sure for some term.I really don't want to ask my friend G all the time or everytime I face a little problem of comprehension.I wasn't sure if petticoat was under skirt or if it could be the over skirt( the last one on the top).I think now it mean both of them , please if I'm wrong tell me.

My costume is compose of a petticoat and a jacket.I wasn't sure how I should make the skirt on the top because I want to make it period or close of it.Again , I look on the tutorial of American duchess to get an idea of how to do it.It's simple then I imagine.

I choose a cotton with a black design , 6m for 20$ (3 for the price of 1).My first choice was the same fabric but with a blue design  which I thought could do a better match(my jacket is blue) but it wasn't possible because there was not enough of it.The measure from my hips to the floor is 1m .I use four pannels of 1,1m to make the skirt plus a band to make the waistband.I add 10cm to my initial measure because of teh bumroll and my shoes have a little heel.Even if it's cotton ,  the final result is heavy so a proper support is an absolute necessity.Don't try to escape that.
The work in progress.Everything is fix with pins .Smaller pleat looks better (for me)and I think I use knife pleat .It's important to remember the pleat should looks to the middle and not looks on the same way.
To make the sewing easier , I iron the waistband before .It was easier and in the futur I will not try to skip this step.
The result when the waistband is in place.Trying to avoid step to save time will in fact not save it.Taking the time to make things properly is far better.The result is perfect on both side.Satisfaction 100%.

The petticoat on the sewing dummy , worn over the bumroll and quilt skirt.Making all these tiny pleat is what take 95% of the time of the entire construction.After I did pleat on one pannel , I sew it right away . Sometimes I have to add a few more pleast because it move during the sewing part.

The petticoat have opening on each side of the hip(what is call pocket slip) and close by a bow made from the waistband which is longer .In the futur I could do pocket even if I think I don't really need some .I must admit , I'm rarely 100% satisfy with something , but I think it was a success with that.

2 commentaires:

  1. I really love that fabric. Do you still have enough to make a matching jacket? Then you could make say a red skirt for a mix n' match wardrobe.

    RépondreSupprimer