The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















lundi 14 septembre 2009

English women

I promess to explain my costume of the Fête médiévales de St-Colombant I wore last week.

I did this costume last year for an event call Les Baltanes , an SCA activity organise by Le Havre des glaces a local group of Quebec city.

In the SCA , I'm suppose to be a scottish women from the year 880.Since it was my first activity , in the same time a weekend of camping and I have so little time to prepare costume for me (the biggest job was to do everything for my honey)meaning I didn't have time to do research.

I saw this dress on the cover(and page 208) of a book call Dress in anglo-saxon England by Gale R. Owen Crocker.I like the style which seem different from what I usually see , so I decided to try using a pattern I knew very well.

I use mccall 8937 .The underdress is a little gather at the neck and is made of linen.For the over dress , I use the same pattern except I made no sleeve and the front and back pieces are smaller ( there is no need of gather them). At the back , I had a big hood to get the same look (as much as possible)seen on the picture.The dress is made of linen , blue and white , two threads were use to make the fabric and it give a very nice look.

For accessoiries , I use a leather belt and proudly wear my torc and my fibulas and raven chain set buy from The Crafty celts.I say it  proudly because it's expensive and I do not have a lot of occassion to wear it.

What you saw at right which is partially hide is a bag in which I bring many bottle of water.The only missing thing for the costume is a pin or two to put the hood in place .With a very sunny day it's important to cover my head (and to be historic too)but I was so busy in the morning that I forgot the pin.So when I walk it never stay in place.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire