The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















lundi 3 mai 2010

The butterfly's dress

Fabricville did organise a contest to celebrate is fourty years which ends april 30.At the beginning I did not wish to participate.There is nothing I hate more to sew and have a deadline.

My honey try to convince me I should participate so one month before the end (the contest last for four months)I decided to try.A look on the web site of fabricville convince me I can do better then what I see.My dear friend G participate too but at the begining she did not want to win just to be see because she's trying to find a new job and it's not so easy.Hopefully she change her mind and did a great project.My goal was to win the first price which include a sewing machine and an overlock machine.I have both of them but I wish to give the overlock to my mom.The sewing machine will be Gwenyver birthday gift if I win.I will be more then happy with the rest of the first price but I do hope people around me can enjoy it too.The pictures were sent with me in the dress but I wish to show you the dress alone because it wasn't made to fit for myself but for someone wearing a size 12-14.Finally the dress is a size 16 .Here is my project.

I want to make a dress for a special occasion , something that will be bright, luminous , hot colours to repersent the passionI have for this project.I put an average of 20 hours of work on it.Until the end , I always believe in my project and thought I could win (there is 4 prices).

I first buy all the fabric I need and knew exactly what I want to do and how.After I do a sketch to get a better idea and see if there is something I will need to change or ameliorate.I use 2.4m of extensible yellow satin , 0.5 of lining for the inside of the bodice , 1.5m of lazer the pieces at the shoulders , 2m of satin ribbon for the lacing in the back , 3m of red lamire,2m of dark orange lamire , 1.25m of light orange lamire and 1m of gold lazer.

I did the pattern myself , no commercial .I take a look on my gran dress and thought I could do the top similar , making the skirt part being more easy.So I did make a base .For the shoulder there si four pieces which have a flower's petal form and are attach by a bow.The bodice have three butterflys embroided which are orange and red to remember the color of the skirt.

For the skirt part I wish to have diffrents layers and give an aspect of lightness.Each layer have different lengt and finish in a point at the back .They are made of a single piece .On each layer I add pale yellow pearl drop which are hand sew and the edge have a picot finish.I let the front open to see the underskirt but I think I could be better if the front make a V shape and not a rectangle like I did.I also made a red scarf made from the same red lamire fabric(not see on the picture).

I think I really excel .It was the first time I made a pattern , make an evening gown and work so hard during a long time(min of 20 hours).Now I have to wait to see if all the efforts I did will be reward.The winner will be announce may12.



1 commentaire:

  1. I'm glad I get to see close-up pics now! It looks very colourful, a nice change from your usual black (:P).

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the results will only be announced on May 26: apparently there were more entries than they had expected and they want to give everyone a fair chance at being judged.

    RépondreSupprimer