The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.

mercredi 16 février 2011

Let's start the costumes

Like I wrote previously , I gave a few fabrics for the making of the costumes.Some of this fabric are not beige but white.My friend Gwenyver told me I could use tea to dye the fabric , as long as it's natural fiber.I knew I could use tea to make paper looks older but I never try on fabric .It work very well.

 A pictures taken in my kitchen.You can see the tea bags flotting.At left you have the cord in is original white color and at right after the bath in tea.I use orange pekoe tea , it's not expensive and it smell great.

 An exemple of fabric  (wool flannel) ,  at left the original color and at right after a little bath in tea.

 The first thing I had to do is working with this coat.It looks like too old specially for a teenage .The character is a young italian women working in mafia.This coat goes with a dress I didn't need to fix.

 I removed the shoulder padding , the pockets and change the buttons for smaller one.I also change the bottom where the coat close. Only by removing the shoulder pad , the student feel better in it.

A classical kimono for a geisha or at least for a more traditionnal japanese women.The front and back are made from singapor cotton , the sleeves are made from a polyester sheet I was suppose to give.The sheet is really soft to touch and the color match so well with the cotton.The picture show the first version of the sleeves , for convenience reason , they are now a little smaller.

The belt seem larger in picture but is not so big in reality.I had a stiff fusing in it so I'm sure the student will have a good posture.The teacher see that as a problem , she talk with me about the fact that many girls in the play do not have the right posture that belong to the character.So I hope it will help , it's the best I could do with limited ressource.

The back of the obi (belt).A simple bow which will be attached with velcro.The student already made a try of her costume but will receive it this monday.I heard by someone she already like it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire