The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















samedi 2 juillet 2011

Fashion and costuming : my favorite designer

Fashion and costuming are closely related. After all , what people wore a long time ago is now consider costuming but it wasn't at their time.I'm not the kind of person who's going to buy a pink dress because it's the color of the summer , I'm everthing except an addic of fashion.

I must admit after a time in the costuming world , I discover a designer I learn to like very much.Even if her creations date from 1920-1930 , some of them seem actual and very modern to me.Most costumer know her and I decided to make a quick presentation of her : Madeleine Vionnet.

                                                     Emblem of the Madeleine Vionnet house


Madeleine Vionnet (1876-1975) did not always have a peacefull life.She have been twice divorce , lost her daughter before she reach her first year , have work in a sanatorium and have know the first and second world war.

Before being a great designer , she start as an apprentice .She will work in differents fashion houses in Paris and London.She really start creating her own model in 1906 when she work for Jacques Doucet.

Creating was an art for her.She was the first to use "the biais cut" for which she will be famous.In 1912 she start her own business , smaller it is and will become bigger with time.She actively fight copying of her creation.

She finally retire in 1939 .At the time , she gave sketchs , patterns and dress to  the french group Union française des arts du costume.She left behind her a great heritage to the fashion world .The proof is , she is know today.

An exemple of her work with the original black and white picture.The pattern of this dress can be seen in the book Pattern of fashion 2 by Janet Arnold with other creation of Vionnet.

To see more of her work , you can also visit the french museum of decorative arts ( musée des arts décoratifs) or take a look on the amazing book Madeleine Vionnet edited by Pamela Golbin.This book is amazing , a few sketchs and a lot of pictures including original black and white.

1 commentaire:

  1. Awesome! I had never seen an actual photo of that dress. I do love the idea and intend to make my own eventually.

    RépondreSupprimer