The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















mercredi 21 novembre 2012

The medieval tailor assistant

The medieval tailor assistant:making common garments 1200-1500 by Sarah Thursfield  , 224 pages , publish by Quite specific media

What I like

It cover a long period.

It offer a great variety for clothing for men and women.

A great source of info not only focus on clothing but all that came with like hairstyle ,choice of fabric how to make eyelet and lacing etc .

Include a glossary of term at the end .

It explain how to make your own personal pattern block to help you to get better result.

Offer a lot of pattern but you must be familiar with the process.(I'm not)

Offer a list of ressource at the end.

What I didn't like

No pictures.It came with illustrations.A few historical pictures or reconstitution would have been a wonderfull addition.

Working with the pattern , personal block and all diagram may not be for beginner.I'm not really familiar with that and sometimes I found this painfull.

It could be hard to get it at a good price.You could be surprise to see how expensive it could be .If you want it but is not available from amazon under 50$, buy it directly from the publisher .The price is around 45$.


Even if it's full of info and a great ressource , I wish I could get this book under the selling price.If it had include pictures or reproduction garment the price would be totally justify.I can't say I'm 100% satisfy.Someone who like this era may appreciate this book.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire