The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















samedi 26 janvier 2013

When passion become obsession : historical accuracy

The topic is less shocking then corset training but the question stay the same.At which point a hobby , past time or passion become an obsession?By historical accuracy I mean the exact fabric , type of stitches , accessoiries , corset , underwear , handsewing etc.The list is long.

Today with the web and everything available from all around the world the possibilities are unlimited for a costumer.Everyone is his own judge of when you say stop.Are you able to say stop? I am because my ressource have limits and if you don't it's never ending .

One of the reason I did start to organise costuming activities last summer is because some already costuming group are restricted and ask for more then I could do on historical point.I never done handsewing and did not buy the perfect or exact fabric.The accesoiries I found are not perfect but can do the job.I'm not that much picky and my time is precious.

A costuming group with historical and fantasy offer more possibilities.Sometimes I saw costumer who did a lot of thing in a year and sometimes I envy them .The fact is I do have a child and I can't spend the same time making costume.I wish I could do a lot but I do what I can and I'm perfectly ok with that.By doing fantasy and historical it gave me more chance to bring my son to the costuming activity. After all costuming should be accessible to anybody .

I understand that some person want to get the closer to what our ancestor had  .I totally respect that and they bring costuming to another level.What I seriously dislike is the people with obsession for accuracy and believe that everyone should do the same .I hate people who do that.They gave you the impression you are cheap and not good enough.My budget do not allow me to do 100% accurate and even if I had the possibility I won't.Don't you have the impression it's never ending?

The line between passion and obsession is thin.Wanting the perfect costume is for me an obsession.I have no problem with people who do have this obsession as long as they keep it for them and do not act discourteous with me.Like I said previously , everyone have a different limit and it's ok like that.I'm curious , do you have limit and when do you consider it's enough?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire