The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















vendredi 16 août 2013

Preparation for the picnic

 
 
I realize I didn't post anything about the costumes preparations for the picnic we done in july.So here we are with close-up and more details of it.
 
For my son
 
A white t-shirt and a pair of gray short I already have.The green scarf I wrap at his waist only for the picture.It was a hot and shiny day so I thought it wasn't a necessity.His hat was a straw I fold to make a tricorn.
 
For my honey
 
He used what he have and just buy a few accessoiries , mostly necklace and an orange scarf wrap at the waist .Hee already have a tricorn so real easy.The truth is he didn't enjoy much costuming.He came with us because he know how much I want him to join us and our son like his daddy to be present.
 
For myself
 
I was in vacation in july and somewhere during the summer it was my birthday.I knew I didn't have time to sew and not much motivation for it.I thought a sari would be a good idea.I found it on ebay for 8,99$.The  seller also have jewelry  so I buy both at the same place to make sure I will receive it at time.
 
 The complete kit of jewelry , red and gold for 40$ .Two necklaces, two bracelets with rings (not show),a pair of earrings , a matha patti (head piece) and a nath (ring nose).Similar kit could be sold for 150$ but if you take time to search you will find less expensive like mine.
 A side view .The earrings have a chain and I assume it have to be attached to the head piece.Anyway I really don't know where else to clip it.The earrings are heavy , attached to the head piece it help to relieve the weight.
 The sari.You know when it's written the color may not be exact as the picture , that's a good example.With time and search I realize in India maroon  is more a red-dark pink then the brown reddish I expect.On the picture it was really  like brown .I was a bit dissapointed but accept it because I receive it one week before the event.I order the petticoat(skirt)to go with it and the choli(blouse or top).It take a month to receive my order so it was too late to complain.The standard petticoat was tight but I could fit in.You really need a petticoat to wear under the sari because some fabric a sheer.
A dark pink art silk is still sheer.You can see my hand under the fabric .When you take the option custom choli , they cut the sari to make it.The lenght of a sari is mostly standard to 6 yards-5.3metres.When you buy a sari , the unstitch blouse mention is only a square of fabric you can use to make the blouse.Many people make the mistake to believe it's a blouse already make you just have to adjust.After cutting my sari , I now have 4,8metres which is a little too short.For a plus size women 5,3 metres could be just enough or not enough depending on how you choose to wrap the sari.The best will be a 9 yards sari but I can tell you they are hard to find and you don't have a lot of choice.

The color wans't the best , it wasn't perfect but we all enjoy the event and we had a shinny day.It is not possible to ask for more.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire