The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















dimanche 7 juin 2015

Jewelry and details for the dress


As I write before , Eleonora Di Toledo was a major inspiration.I must admit the jewel she wore are somehow classic to my eyes and I love that.That's probably because I love pearls , timeless and classic.

 Eleonora Di Toledo by Agnolo Bronzino 1543,picture from Web gallery of art

My first inspiration , I think this portrait is a source of inspiration of so many of us.I did focus on the hair net and the partlet.




My choice of material for the partlet: genuine button pearl and silk organza.When you look carefully at the picture ,the net and the partlet can looks like made with some kind of soutache.I did buy a dvd on the etsy store of the Tudor tailor.After some practice I can say it's close.Making such an amount of soutache would take a lot of time but a delicate one hand made would be beautiful.


 Eleonora and her son Giovanni by Agnolo Bronzino 1544-45 , Web gallery of art

Another portrait with similar partlet and hair net.On this one she wore more pearls.The buttons on the sleeves are beautiful.I know some people have make replica and cast their own.This is the kind of knowledge I do not have.

I do have extra long hair .A black hair net cost only 5$ on the web.Most of the time they are small or too small for all my hair and so tight around my head that I get headhache.

I use a piece of cardboard and draft a pattern .There is two colors of line as you can see , the first pink being a bit too small.The space between the line is quite important because a have an exact amount of pearls for it and do not want to buy more of it.

Buttons for the sleeves buy on Etsy .I use a gold paint to give them a more rich look.You can see the difference before and after.It required many buttons for the sleeves and it wasn't easy to find something beautiful for a reasonable price.You could be quite surprise and chock to see how much some button could be expensive.
A brooch and necklace from Sapphire and Sage , birthday gift from last year by my friend Gwenyver.As I do not want to tell Gwenyver the color of my dress and not telling much detail  about it , I haven't leave competition at that moment,she choose to offer me jewelry that could possibly match with my dress.She buy this not knowing I have order something from Sapphire and Sage.A real coincidence that we buy from the same place.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire