The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















mardi 9 juin 2015

The learn of new skills for the challenge

Learning to use a lucet to make cord.There is many good video on youtube to learn.I found it easier to watch the video then having a book with not enough picture.

My participation to the Italian renaissance  costuming challenge IRCC4 have not been a wast of time even if I had to leave before the end.I have learn so much during the process.I wish I could do it this year but with a new baby at home it wasn't possible.Maybe next year.
Making different type of braid.At first I wasn't sure if buying a dvd on the Tudor tailors shop about braiding was a good idea but it is , really.Braiding is much easier then I thought and the dvd is well done.
The making of tassel.Nothing complicated in that but you didn't know until you done it at least one time.
Embroidery.I never thought I would like that so much.I'm a really calm and patient person , embroidery fit my personality.During the coming month I will try to learn more.I will learn historical embroidery and modern.I will also try my hand at goldwork embroidery.The material is a bit expensive but I have many project in mind , some being for gift.
Learning to cover wood's button with silk , using a bee wax cake or not.It can create many beauty.
The stitches are probably too big but pad stitches were new to me and have been done by hand.
Button made from a basic square of fabric .It could be very usefull , not only for renaissance but also for middle age era.
This one take time but when I get it , I like it : elizabethan blanket stitches.This is a picture of many of my first attempt.
Patterning.I never done it before.Most of the time I use a commercial pattern and modify it.A first time I start from a drawing or picture in a book and draw it on fabric.

I did learn so much and touch an era I never try before.I love this kind of project , lot of research , lot of thing to learn but the result is incredible.You know where to start but never know where it will finish.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire