The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















samedi 30 janvier 2016

Restoration of an antique hat

A few years ago , I buy this hat on etsy from the seller The hat museum.I just fell in love with the style.There was a good reason if this hat was not expensive , around 40$: many dark brown stain.This hat is an Henry Pollak from the 60's that mimic a style of the 30's.A few stain didn't stop me .

 Original picture from the seller.You can see the stain on the brim and the ribbon is fray at the end.Hopefully it didn't smell awful when I receive it , it might happen with antique thing store for a too long time.


 I start by removing the jewel and the ribbon which was glue on it.Not much glue hopefully.As you can see there is a major difference of color.After that , I decided to gently wash the hat with water and soap.It was not only to try to remove the stain but to remove over 50 years of dust.I used a biological soap.


 A gift I receive to put my hat on it , an hat support made by my father in law.Now my hat is proudly on it in my sewing room.


 A stamp inside the hat , a little damage but could be read : 100% wool Glenover Henry Pollak inc New York.
 It would be quite impossible to describe the color of the water when I wash the hat.Let's just say it was a good thing to do.Even after trying different stain remover and  soap , the stain haven't be 100% remove.They pass from dark to pale and at this point you should be very close to see it.I won't dye it because I love the color.

The original ribbon have fray a lot.If I had cut it , it would not have been possible to have the same length and style.I buy a new one from a very close color.I know from a value point , keeping the original stuff is always the best but I didn't buy it for that reason.The new ribbon is only  fix in the front with a few stitches.

I wash the jewel with water and soap.My honey point me that I should use alcohol but the result is still good and no harm was done.I stitch it at the top and the bottom exactly like it was .There's no hole or pin so I have to do it the same way.

In the future I may used a spray to protect it like the one you used for suede shoes.I think it might help to stop the dust to enter in the wool and repeal water just in case of.

The result.The jewel and ribbon are shiny , stain are pale.The wool still looks old even if it's clean but I believe 50 years old wool can't looks like new one.Now I can put it on my head proudly and go out.

What I would do differently ? I would say nothing for now.I'm not an expert , I never restore an antique hat before.It take time but it feel rewarding and satisfactory to bring something back to life.If you know someone more expert then me or have advice for next time, I would love to hear it because I hope I will do it again .If I have to give advice from this experience I would say follow your instinct first and do logical choice.

1 commentaire:

  1. Thought: maybe you could find Petersham ribbon in the right colour to cover the brim and therefore the stains?

    You did a really good job though. It looks great!

    RépondreSupprimer