The attic is a place dedicate to share my passion :costuming and sewing.I'm not a professional or expert seamstress,only the mother of young kids who love sewing.You won't find 100% historical costume,museum replica, perfection or extreme thing here.

I believe everyone who bring some goodwill can sew and enjoy it.The attic is an unpretentious place .I show my work, information and hope it could somehow inspired you.Feel free to leave comment or share idea.Be welcome and visit as much as you want.
















dimanche 15 janvier 2017

Viking outfit for my daughter , part 2


The goal wasn't to make something historically perfect , just to have a close look that I will love.Making things in small size doesn't mean it doens't required time.As a first layer for the costume , I made a plain tunic.I used the technic with rectangle , triangle on the side and a gusset under the arm.I used a piece of leftover linen I already and other fabric  so I didn't have to buy anything.


The tunic , showing the shape and size of it. It was assembly by machine but the outside is entirely handsew.

Close-up of the neckline , handsew with a pale blue silk.The bottom and the wrist are made the same way , blanket stitches.

The over dress ,  an apron dress  made of burgundy wool flannel.The cut is the same as the one I have and was made by my friend Gwenyver.Assembly by machine but not visible on the outside.You can see more of the shape on this site I used.


Again , the bottom is handsew using a blanket stitches.I like it because it's easy and look nice.I used the same pink silk for the hat.

I was running out of time to sew the shoulder strap so I sew them quickly doing an X to fix it.The strap as you can see are not entirely finish.It was wear only one time for halloween and it look wonderfull.Because halloween was a monday , my daugther didn't have the chance to wear it at the day care.

Type of costume : viking for a little girl under 2 years old
Fabrics: linen and wool flannel
Threads : Alyce Schroth silk ,  Renaissance wool , polyester for the machine
Handsew for the outside , assembly by machine
Time to realize: a few hours to cut and assembly , hours for the handsew which I did before going to the bed.So at the end it wasn't quick but I did follow a good rhythm of progression.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire